Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What's Your Therapy?

After an extremely trying week last week, I spent my Saturday doing things that were all about me. I slept in, I painted my toenails, I played with the dogs, I spent a few hours on the phone with some amazingly supportive friends, and I watched bad TV -all while consuming about half a pot of coffee. While I was flipping through the channels feeling sorry for myself for not being able to save the world, I came across Elizabethtown. It seemed like a cute movie, so I sat down for a watch.
That movie was apparently the start to my therapy for the weekend. I won't ruin the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it, but there is a very sweet part at the end that made me cry a little. That little 5 minute part that made me cry a little was all it took to open the floodgates on a week's worth of big time stress. Thank you for that, Elizabethtown.
I cried for a good hour, and got it all out. After that cry, I picked myself up off the floor, gave myself a little talking to about how I am completely incapable of saving the world all by myself, and got on with my day. Removing that weight from my shoulders (that I had placed there all on my own) was exactly what I needed to get on with what turned out to be a good weekend. Turns out that cry was just what I needed. Well, that and a new pair of shoes.
What does it for you when you're down? Do you cry? Punch a wall? Bottle it all up?
What is your therapy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

-Crying
-Calling my friends and crying
-Talking/crying to my family
-Eating really unhealthy, but wickedly yummy foods (i.e. M&Ms, ice cream, cheetos, brownies, etc)
-Watching a funny movie
-Going for a run (but that generally only works if I'm angry and sad)
-Turing up music I wouldn't normally listen to and dancing my A** off!